Basic Safety Rules
Stop Unsafe Work
- Immediately STOP any unsafe work that has the
potential to injure personnel, damage equipment, or
harm the environment.
- Immediately report all work related injuries/illnesses,
no matter how minor, to your supervisor.
- Immediately report all fires, spills, or releases, no
matter how small, to your supervisor.
- Immediately report any unsafe condition, unsafe act,
near miss incident, or vehicle collision to your
Follow Safe Practices
- Comply at all times with all safe driving requirements,
particularly speed limits, when operating a vehicle.
- Ensure that all persons in vehicles wear seat belts at
- Use the handrail and take only one step at a time
when going up or down stairways.
- Erect barricades and flagging around hazardous work
areas, such as holes in decking and floor surfaces,
trenches, road crossings, and overhead hazardous
- Use only proper tools and equipment maintained in a
safe working condition. Do not use homemade,
modified, or damaged tools.
- Maintain good housekeeping in your work area at all
- Smoke only in designated areas. Do not use matches
or lighters in restricted areas.
- Rest and eat only in designated areas.
- Use proper manual lifting techniques, or obtain
assistance or mechanical lifting aids when lifting
- Ensure all safety guards, switches, and alarms are in
place and functional on operating machinery and
- Lock, tag, clear, and try equipment to ensure proper
isolation before working on energized equipment
that has the potential for injury to personnel.
- Notify the appropriate supervisor and affected parties,
tag the device, and document the action properly
whenever a safety device is removed from service
and/ or defeated.
- Chain-lock or car-seal open all block valves on
in-service pressure relief systems.
- Inspect all fire extinguishers and other emergency
equipment and keep them clear of any obstructions.
- Properly label and store all chemical or hazardous
material containers. Where specified, store drums in
secondary containment areas or on drum containment
Avoid Unsafe Activities
- Do not climb or stand on equipment, piping, valves,
or unstable surfaces (e.g., chairs or barrels) to
- Use approved fall protection measures (e.g., personal fall
arrest system or scaffolding) if the working height is
greater than 1.8 m (6 ft) from the floor or platform level.
- Do not run in work areas.
- Do not wear finger rings, wristwatches, jewelry, loose
clothing, unsecured long hair, or loose accessories
within an arm’s reach of rotating equipment or
- Do not apply compressed industrial gases to yourself
- Do not operate equipment having a“DANGER, DO
NOT OPERATE” (hold) tag.
- Do not start work in any area, or on any equipment,
without consent of the Saudi Aramco person in
- Do not use electronic devices (e.g., mobile phones,
smartwatches, and instruments) that are not listed as
safe for use in classified locations without proper
- Do not engage in horseplay or fighting.
- Wear Saudi Aramco approved hard hats, safety
eyewear with side shields, and safety footwear
in all restricted areas, project sites, and in areas
where specifically designated.
- Use approved additional hazard-specific personal
protective equipment (PPE), including goggles,
face-shield, respiratory protection equipment, and
body/hand protection where specific hazards
requiring their use have been identified.
- Wear proper PPE prescribed by the chemical hazard
bulletin (CHB) or safety data sheet (SDS) when
handling chemicals or hazardous materials.
- Use approved hearing protection in designated high
- Use proper hand protection (e.g., gloves) when
performing tasks that may present a hand injury risk.
- Wear approved bicycle helmets at all times while
riding a bicycle, skateboard, scooter, or other similar